Monday, September 7, 2009

Soul Food

God is talking......Are you listening? The question isn't whether God has something to say to us, but whether we are ready and willing to listen. He implores us in Isaiah 55:2,3 "Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fare. Give ear, and come to me; hear me that your soul may live." We desperately need the life-giving words the Lord desires to share with us. Occasionally my wife will be talking to me, when I am engrossed in reading the newspaper or watching TV news. I kind of hear her, and I respond as if I am really listening. Yeah, uh-huh, and so on, well you get the picture. Once recently, she stopped in the middle of this kind of dialogue and said, Did you even hear what I said? I, uh, well, no not really. I am working on this :) Do I want to hear what my wife has to say? The answer is a resounding yes! She is my best friend and the love of my life. The problem is, I get distracted by other things that clamor for my attention. I think at times we "listen" to Jesus with a similar lack of attentiveness. What God says to us is food for the soul. He speaks in a variety of ways: Through the reading of Scripture; Meditating on His Word; During prayer, which should be a two-way conversation; and with a gentle voice of His Holy Spirit, speaking silently into your spirit. Are you taking the time as a regular part of your routine, to set aside the busyness of life, and numerous distractions, to simply listen to God?

No comments:

Post a Comment