Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Zoom Lens

The zoom lens on my camera lets me view things up close and personal. To get a closer perspective to the object in the photograph I am about to take. What I have discovered is that in order to see a larger image, I have to settle for less background information. Ultimately, which is more important? A closer view, or more background information? The answer, of course, depends upon the purpose of the photo. When my wife and I were visiting Washington D.C. this summer, I would have to make a choice between taking a photo of my wife, with the Washington Monument in the background, or taking a picture of the Washington Monument, with my wife standing in front of it. There really is a difference between the two. My solution was to take two different pictures, with two different perspectives. In life, we often get so focused on a situation we face, or a decision we have to make, that we temporarily leave out the background information. I have found that it is often helpful to zoom out for a while and look at the bigger picture. The context of the situation is much clearer when we look through a wider lens. Context is critical to perspective. Perspective is especially important when we are making a decision that will have an impact on others.

No comments:

Post a Comment